Monday, May 2, 2011

Pink? Blue? Yellow?

As my grandmother says about my grandfather, we have a nose problem; as in, we're nosy people. Same goes for my mother. We like to know what's going on around us, behind us, under us, etc. We like to know the business of our loved ones, the ones we don't love so much, and those who mean nothing to us. I think this fact is why everyone was so shocked when I decided that I didn't want to know the gender of our little Porkchop. I really wanted this wonderful secret to grow inside me and open our gift upon delivery. I love being surprised but the catch is, I rarely am. I'm that person who "accidentally" finds the receipt, "accidentally" finds the gift while "cleaning" (aka snooping), etc. I'm so controlling (yes, I can openly admit that) that I never give people the chance to surprise me. This was the one surprise that I couldn't spoil. However, it wasn't just my decision. I'm lucky enough to have a wonderful and understanding fiance to share this with and he had an opinion on the matter. Thomas HAD to know. It wasn't so much an opinion as a must have in his life. He needed to know whether he would be playing football or dress up, teaching someone how to shave or learning how to braid. I tried to convince him that it didn't matter, a baby was a baby. They don't really have stereotypical gender roles until they're older and he would have time to embrace that when the baby was an infant. Then he said he would bond more with Porkchop if he knew the gender. How could a mom-to-be not love hearing that their baby daddy wanted to bond more? I understood that point, I can feel Porkchop's somersaults and jabs and even when he can feel them outside, it's just not the same.

So, I budged. We're finding out. And soon. It's Monday, May 2nd and by this time on Friday, May 6th, we'll know if we have a penis or vagina in there. Now that we've nailed down that aspect of the pregnancy, I'm more excited than ever. In addition to my controlling, nosy personality, I'm also have a very one track mind. I get an idea or project in my head and it HAS to be done immediately. I don't waffle once I know what I want. (Not that I'm a decisive person in the least but when I know, I know.) We've had the appointment for the sonogram made for about two weeks and they have been the longest two weeks of my life. I can't wait to see Porkchop moving around again (he/she was really active during our last one and then would get tired and settle down, it was the most adorable thing) and I am trying to prepare myself for the words: "It's a...!" I have a feeling we'll both cry. 

What do you guys think about finding out the gender? Did you find out with your bean? What was it like to hear/see the gender?

1 comment: