Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Penis or Vagina?

In honor of the upcoming ultrasound to find out if Porkchop has a wiener or hoo-ha, I've decided to run through a comprehensive list of old wives tales that supposedly predict the gender. 

 (If only it was that easy...)

#1. Heart Rate:
This one seems like it would have some sort of scientific basis but I've been assured that it doesn't. They say that if the baby's heart rate is above 140 beats per minute (bpm), it's a girl. Below that magic 140 bpm and it's a boy. At our first ultrasound Porkchop's heart rate was 161bpm so this one says GIRL.

#2. High or Low: 
If you're carrying the nugget low, it's a boy. If nugget is higher in your belly, it's a girl. This is a toughie, even my mom can't really decide if Porkchop is high or low, but I think I'm carrying low which means BOY.

#3. Mayan Predictions:
The Mayans add the mothers age at conception and the year of conception. If the resulting number is even, it's a girl. If it's odd, it's a boy. So let's see: 25 +2011 = 2036 which then = GIRL

#4. Cravings:
If you crave sweets, you're having a girl. If you crave salts, you're having a boy. This one seems unfair because I've always craved sweets. Regardless, I guess this means it's a GIRL.

 #5. Acne:
Apparently if your skin gets worse, it's a girl and you can chalk that wonderful anti-glow up to the extra hormones. If you get the glow, it's a boy. So far I've been told that I'm "glowing" so one more for BOY.

#6. Dreams:
Dream of a girl and you get a boy and vice versa. I've only had dreams (and lots of them) that it's a girl so it's opposite day and it's a BOY.

#7. Resting side:
If you prefer lying on your right side, it's a girl. Left side layers are having a boy. For me, even though "they" (the experts, not necessarily my doctor) recommend staying on your left side, I sleep better on my right. Chalk it up to a GIRL.

#8. Morning Sickness:
Sick = girl. Smooth sailing = boy. Considering that I was pretty sick until just a few weeks ago, I'll say it's a GIRL.

#9. Feet:
If your feet are colder, it's a boy. If they stayed the same, it's a girl. At first my feet were like ice cubes but they've leveled out recently (probably because it's 90* outside). Another BOY guess.

#10. Headaches:
More headaches mean boy, less or the same means a girl. Thank the Lord for this, I've not had any worse headaches than normal and actually haven't had any in the last two weeks. I'll thank my GIRL for this one.

#11. Ring Swing:
Tie your wedding ring (or engagement ring, whatever the case may be) on a string and hold it over your belly. If it goes back and forth, it's a boy. If it swings in a circle, it's a girl. Mine went in a circle, then in a line and then in a circle again. GIRL.

#12. Width or Length:
If you are carrying the baby wide and more all around, it's a girl. If the baby is more in front, it's a boy. I definitely feel wider than not, so GIRL.

#13. Boobs:
If your boobs grow dramatically, it's a girl. If they don't, it's a boy. Holy schnikes, my boobs are huge. They were large to begin with but have grown at least two cup sizes. I don't think that's TMI because it's pretty obvious how big they are. Thanks, GIRL.

#14. Clumsiness:
Boys make you more clumsy, apparently. I'm not a graceful person, to say the least, but I haven't found myself any more clumsy than normal (thank goodness). GIRL.

#15. Citrus:
Another cravings one; if you crave citrus, it's a girl. I drank about 8 glasses of orange juice a day for about two weeks and now, I can't get enough tangerines to satisfy me. So this looks like a GIRL

#16. Soft or Dry Hands:
If your hands are dry, it's a boy. If they're soft, it's a girl. I'd say my hands are drier than normal, BOY.


16 tests later and 11 of them predicted that Porkchop will be a GIRL. We'll find out on Friday! Did any of you do these Old Wives Tales? Were any of them right for you?

1 comment:

  1. My favorite line from this post:
    "I don't think that's TMI because it's pretty obvious how big they are."

    I've done the Chinese gender chart (boy) the ring test (except I googled it and the site i read said circles are boy and back and forth is a girl, either way I felt really stupid doing it and I think that one sucks) the rest of these are pretty indeterminate. My dreams are not of either gender, Mayan math says boy...so we will see!

    ReplyDelete