Wednesday, May 18, 2011

FOOD!


For some reason I thought that because I was so sick in the beginning of this pregnancy that I would have an aversion to food the entire time. Everyone kept telling me, "Oh wait until you get super hungry all the time!" My response was usually, "I can't wait for that time because right now everything is disgusting to me." This was up until about two weeks ago. I cannot stop eating. I'm certain that I'm going to double what weight I've gained by my next OB appointment. (I gained the "perfect" amount last time according to Dr. Man, not his name but I like calling him that in my mind, which was fun to hear.) All this eating, and subsequent searing heartburn and chest pain caused by pretty much any food imaginable, led me to thinking about how odd it is that all the baby books and websites measure your offspring in fruit or veggie comparisons. As if we didn't think about food constantly, whether or not we're vomiting it all up or devouring everything in sight. So here's a fun little chart of food they compare the baby with.


We found out we were pregnant when I was 4 weeks along, I just knew something was off, my period was a day late and so I bought a test just to be safe. Then the reality came to light and the "HOLY CRAP we're pregnant" phase began. The sites all told me that the baby was the size of a poppy seed. Seriously, a poppy seed, that's not a baby - that's a bagel topping.
Baby or Bagel?



My original OB wouldn't schedule my first appointment until I was eight weeks along. Those four weeks in waiting were so hard! I knew I was pregnant, my primary care dr. had done a test and all that but I didn't really feel anything besides hungover all the time. *Fun fact, the first trimester feels like you're hungover 24/7 but without the really fun night before. For me it was the headaches, nausea, random vomiting, and near deadly fatigue.* When the appointment finally came it was worth all the wait. She did an ultrasound just to check the dating and find a heartbeat and it was absolutely incredible. Baby very clearly had all 4 limbs and a giant head. Even more incredible was that baby had grown from a poppy seed to a raspberry! My brother and his friend still refer to baby as Raspberry. (It was around this time that we started calling baby Porkchop.)

Objects may appear smaller in mirror (or ultrasound).
Is a stem like an umbilical cord?

For the next few weeks we sailed through the green olive and prune phase and headed into the lime territory at 11 weeks. We had another ultrasound scheduled at 11 weeks for the nuchal translucency testing (didn't really care about the results just wanted an extra ultrasound)! This time Thomas was there with me. It was so incredible to experience Porkchop moving with Thomas. Porkchop was wild at first, flailing those tiny arms and legs around. Then baby would be really still and pull her (we didn't know then, of course) arms up and try to sleep. The ultrasound tech had to jiggle my belly and get her moving again, she seemed so agitated that we interrupted her sleeping! Just like Momma, only Momma gets mean when woken up.

Sleepy child.

Baby will be just as sour as a lime if she's like Mom.







16 weeks was a big milestone for me, it meant I was 4 months pregnant with sweet little Porkchop. It also meant that we had gone through plum, peach, lemon, and navel orange; we were onto avocado! Around this time my neighbor (or someone, I don't remember who) had been dropping off homegrown avocados and I could not stop eating them, which kind of felt like a weird form of cannibalism. Not that it stopped me from trying to eat them.

I think our avocado is friend, foe comes when she's 13.




The big ultrasound was at 19 (almost 20) weeks for us. This was only two weeks ago when we found out if Porkchop had an innie or an outie when it comes to reproductive organs. I actually kind of stopped looking at the fruit comparisons because an onion and sweet potato didn't seem fun to eat. But week 19 came mango and holy crap, I LOVE mangos! Baby girl was measuring 20 weeks so technically she was the size of a canteloupe which seems huge. She also measured at 13oz, 3oz more than the 10z "average" for 20 weeks.

Miss June Elizabeth - the "big girl."

Delicious, lovely mango.


I love this Mango too.


This week I'm 21 weeks and little Junebug is the size of a banana. Go grab a banana, hold it. That's inside me, in the shape of a baby.
This banana is super happy and exactly what it feels like June is doing in my uterus.



No comments:

Post a Comment