Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Working Moms Working Out

Friends, I need to confess something. 
  
I love work. 

I am challenged every day and learn something new. The field I'm in is interesting and the company I work for is on the cutting edge of technology. The people I work with are smart, friendly and hardworking.

It is hard to leave Junie and to not spend every day with her but I think working is truly what is best for our entire family. I'm so satisfied coming home each night to her and Thomas knowing that I made a difference in our financial state and I'm showing June that being a smart woman and mom aren't mutually exclusive. 

My body, however, isn't so keen on this whole being awake and mentally active for 10+ hours plus sitting for 8+ hours. I'm trying to eat well while making this transition and attempting to drink more water. I feel like I need to try to exercise, though. My body is tense and my nerve pain is acting up. But guys, how do I fit in exercise when I'm already out of the house from 730am to 630pm? 
I get an hour for lunch but with how red and hot I get after working out, I hardly feel like that's enough time. 
What do you suggest? When do you fit in exercise? What are your favorite snacks to keep your energy up throughout the day? Any tips or hints?

Proof that my child is a genius. Reading "The Tale of Jemima Puddleduck" by Beatrix Potter, while standing. Also, not ripping said book.
 

6 comments:

  1. I workout at 6am on work days and on weekends whenever.. If u can't do early make a point to do weekend days and walk during the week. I take lots of fruit to work, nuts, pretzels (honey wheat) and I try to pack my lunch so not tempted to get fast food. I also bring my crockpot oatmeal to eat at office for breakfast & it keeps me full for most of the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crockpot oatmeal, tell me more!

      Also, 6am?! What do you do to work out?

      Delete
  2. So I know I am kidless, but living in the desert means I have to get creative about when I can workout, which means early morning or late at night when the sun is no longer out. Lunch break workouts are great, but if you don't have a shower it's not realistic unless you are going to be ok with going back to work sweaty. Your best bet is to try and work out before you leave for work. The hardest part is getting out of bed, but once you get up it's easy from there! Target has great exercise equipment and for cheap! The other thing is to be really prepared with your food. Make Sunday your grocery day and make food that you can eat all week. If you are prepared with healthy lunches and quick, healthy dinners, you will be golden. The hardest part is being prepared so your meals don't become what they bring into the office, the fastfood you pick up at lunch, or what June happens to leave behind. :) I have some great simple recipes if you want them. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to walk and/or do an exercise video in the morning, then walk after dinner. I didn't like working out during work for the same sweaty/yucky reasons.

    ReplyDelete