Sunday, July 1, 2012

It's A Good Year For Crossbows

Thomas and I had a rare morning date on Sunday. I had an uproariously fun show on Saturday night so my parents kept June overnight. Before June, Sunday mornings were our sleep in day. We would lounge in bed, maybe get breakfast and stay in our jammies. Now they're like any other morning. Wake up early and focus on baby. 

We wanted to spend the exceptional Sunday doing something fun. Thomas had been wanting to see The Avengers and I'm a big enough fan of comic book movies that I obliged him.

That's his, "I know you're taking a picture" face.

Surprisingly, I really enjoyed the movie and Thomas wasn't as enthusiastic. I used to be the kind of movie-goer that liked real stories. Real life dilemmas. Life movies. But since I've become a mom, I've started to enjoy the novelty and impossibility of movies like The Avengers. Maybe I've come to crave that bit of escapism a bit more now that my own real life has taken over. The fantastic, unreal world created in movies like this take me away more than they once did. 

For those of you interested, here's a little overview/review:
  • Captain America wears really cute old timey clothes. His superpower is being strong and telling people what to do.
  • Ironman is a narcissist and has commitment problems. He wears a suit, made of iron.
  • Thor is a demi-god. My favorite line about him was from Captain America, "There's only one god and he sure doesn't dress like that." 
  • Loki (aka Four Loki) needs a shampoo and cut. Maybe a color too. And therapy.
  • Hawkeye is super good with his hands, I think. And Jeremy Renner has great arms.
  • Black Widow is (was?) Russian and gets really sweaty really easily.
  • The Hulk is all demure and coy and then strong and angry (and funny).
  • Nick Fury should narrate more movies.
  • The movie had a really nice balance of charm versus action. I love witty, captivating dialog but also explosive action and they did a great job marrying the two. 
  • The premise of teamwork and creating a united front was kind of inspiring. Sounds silly, but it's true.
  • The product placement was hilarious. In the middle of a huge battle all of a sudden there were bus stops advertising Jansport and directly next to it two giant plaques for Farmers and Southwest Airlines. Subtle.
  • I like watching 3D movies that aren't in 3D because you can tell where they create action specifically for the 3D aspect. It looks funny. Also, I hate 3D and think it's dumb.  
On a semi-related note: I'm a very liberal person (spoiler alert). But I think that movies have a rating for a reason. It upsets me to see children in movies very clearly inappropriate for their age group. If a movie is rated PG-13 don't bring your 6 year old. If you really want them to see it, wait for it to come out on DVD so you can preview it and watch it with them in your own home. This seems to be the theme of the weekend. I have two friends who complained via Facebook that there were children in both Ted and Magic Mike. Kind of put the idea of kids seeing The Avengers in perspective. //end rant//

Did you see The Avengers? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment