Thursday, April 26, 2012

Mommy's Time Out

As a stay at home mom days often bleed into one another. Mondays and Tuesdays become Moneusdays and I sometimes forget that Thursday even exists. This is not to say that I don't love spending my days with my darling daughter but adult conversation and a fun hobby can go a long way. 

Before June was even a twinkle in my eye and before Thomas was the man in my heart, I was asked to join an improv group. Not just any improv group, the greatest improv team in the world, Cherry Spitz. I nervously attended one of their practices and simultaneously felt at home and intimidated. I hadn't performed comedy since high school but I felt comfortable enough to let loose and try my best. 

Improv has been a very integral part of my life since that fateful first practice with Cherry Spitz. It was through a friend on the team that I met Thomas. While I took a few years off from the team, I re-joined in January. I was feeling antsy sitting at home all day, every day. I needed a creative outlet and a chance to clear my head alone. 

Every Wednesday I put June down for her afternoon nap, get Pandora going on 90's pop and leisurely drive to Orange to meet with my dear Blaire. We catch up about our significant others, jobs, lives and babies (June and Brownie, of course) on the drive to Downey. There are ten of us on the team and we love to mercilessly make fun of one another. That being said, if an outsider were to take a jab at one of us, we would fiercely defend the wounded partner. We're a funny, weird, mean family. We have at least two shows a month and there's nothing like performing for a live crowd. The nervous energy and giggly spirit take over and it's a whirlwind of laughter. 

We happen to have a show this weekend - April 28th. We're performing at Stages Theater in Fullerton. Only $7 and guess what? YOU CAN BRING BOOZE! WOO HOO! It's a fabulous time for a date night with your lovah or your cheap date. 



What is your outside hobby? How do you get that little respite we all need?

No comments:

Post a Comment