Saturday, April 28, 2012

Inheritance

Have you ever sat down and truly thought about your personality and traits, outside of being a mother? Maybe most women think about this while pregnant but recently, it's been hitting me over the head how June may end up with my, how do I say, difficult personality. She's wildly smart but incredibly stubborn (at 7 months. yeah.) and resourceful. Is karma going to bitch slap me for my teenage years? While thinking about all of these personality traits I began to worry about the physical traits we're passing to her as well. What if she gets hairy like Thomas? Oh god, that could happen, right?! 

What I Hope June Doesn't Get From Thomas and Me:
When I was younger, think ages 2 to 10, I constantly stubbed my big toe to the point that the skin would literally flap back and have to heal over and over. I hated wearing shoes but loved running around and my toes simply got in the way. My big toes were big. My cousins teased me and told me they were bowling ball toes. They had a point. I did eventually grow into my toes and I am unashamed of my bowling ball toes now but I hope June skips that whole shame of her toes part. 
Please note my excessively swollen feet. This was 11 days before I had June.

 
I married a man that is equal parts Greek, Samoan, Mexican and Irish. He is simply stunning to look at and while I hope that June one day looks as exotic as he does, I hope that she evades the hairiness that he seems to have fallen curse to. 
 
That's a lot of hair.
 

I don't see shades of gray. ((I don't mean the book, 50 Shades of Grey. I can physically see the book and then say, no thank you.)) I mean this in a figurative sense. In my mind things are very black and white, right and wrong, yes and no. There is no room for a "maybe" or for someone to play devil's advocate. While I can readily admit this rigidity, I simply can't change it. I've tried. Those shades of gray don't exist. I hope June is more flexible in her thinking. 
 

I am terrible at math. Terrible to the point that I think it's a learning disorder. Numbers have no meaning to me. Again, I've tried. I've been tutored, I've taken classes, but all to no avail. 
 
What I Hope June Gets From Us: 
A curious mind. I love to travel and explore the world. I find new places exhilarating. Travel, June, travel!  
Abby and I in Scotland on 4th of July 2007.
 
 
Thomas and I are performers. I just hope she gets a mix of our creativity and passion for something in the art world. 
Godspell. Not as bad as the production of West Side Story I was in but bad. Very bad.
 
 
I hope June loves her siblings the way Thomas and I love ours. My brother and sister are two of my best friends. I couldn't love, trust and admire two people more than I do my siblings. And I know Thomas admires his 3 sisters more and more every day.  
I know, we're a ridiculously good looking family.
 
 
I want to June to want to learn. Thomas and I are both inquisitive. I must learn something new every day or I get bored. I love reading, I love filling my mind with new facts, I love trivia. I hope June is curious.
I graduated! (Also, that gown hid my 6 month pregnant belly quite well!)
 
I just think this is funny.


2 comments:

  1. I think about this a lot a lot a lot. I used to tease my parents that I got only the worst things about the two of them. This may or may not be funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Korey - what do you hope Jacob gets from you and Josh?

    ReplyDelete