Friday, November 30, 2012

Supportive Mommas

This evening I was doing some light reading and researching on breastfeeding. When Junie was a baby I was under an insane amount of duress and breastfeeding just didn't work. You can read about that here. I still have some trace of guilt about that especially because my supply was so amazing. I breastfed her for three weeks, developed mastitis, then had my first surgery, then a blood transfusion, then mastitis again and after 2 weeks of exclusively pumping I had had enough. My body needed my attention to be on my own health and after one more surgery and having to pump every three hours just to dump all of that precious milk, I broke. I was done. I could not possibly dedicate one more tear filled hour to trying to feed my baby. I woke up dreading June waking up and having to feed her. I didn't do much research about breastfeeding before she was born because I was very focused on the birth rather than the food. I assumed it would come naturally and that we would be a professional breastfeeding team. None of my plans came to fruition. Not a drug free birth and not breastfeeding.

So this time, knowing that I will have a c-section, I am doing more research. I am taking classes. I am reading books. I am chatting with other moms. In looking for a good nursing bra I came across a great resource - Bravado. They have gorgeous nursing bras (even in my size! woohoo!) and a wealth of information. The article that really caught my eye was this one about the role that your own mother plays in your breastfeeding success. My mom was amazingly supportive of me while I struggled to breastfeed June. She called her friend, a former lactation consultant and baby nurse, to help me with our latch. She called my doula when my nipples were cracked and bloody. She brought me food when I was crying in the corner trying to feed my baby. She had nursed all three of us (my brother was breastfed until 13-14 months and she only stopped because he wanted to) and loved that special bond that it created. Just the other day she said, "I really hope you can breastfeed this baby. It's so special!" All of this support and love without the passing of judgement when I made the hard decision to bottle feed June. I wish everyone had this same level of support that I had.

I rarely faced any negativity when it came to breastfeeding. The closest I came to that was an older family member telling me that it was okay to feed June a bottle and that all of her babies were fed with formula and they were fine (which was debatable). It came out of a place of honesty and care though - she saw me struggling and I'm sure was trying to be reassuring. 

So ladies, what are your thoughts on that article? Was your mom supportive of your breastfeeding? Were you breastfed as a baby? Do you agree that beside your partner your mother is the biggest important supporter of breastfeeding? Let's get talking about boobs!

I at least know this much.

4 comments:

  1. Amber! First if all I love your blog! I also love breastfeeding and am still breastfeeding Kaden! I 100% agree with you that is a personal decision and everyone should feed their child the way that works for them! I must say I could not have done it without the support of my mom, Kip and his mom though! Kaden could not latch and would scream and scream and i would pump what i could. My mom literally worked from home for the first 2 weeks to help get my breast in his mouth (yes we have never been closer, haha). Then Kips mom came to the rescue! She is a lactation consultant and brought me a nipple shield that changed out lives! He used that for about 4 months and then no longer needed it! Anyway I could go on for days about this subject because I am super passionate about it but I wont bore you! Haha! I think its wonderful you are researching and learning and I wish you the best :) I think its also wonderful you have a super supportive mama that breastfed all you kiddos! My mom did too! And Kips mom breastfed all 8! WOWSERS! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracey, I love that you are still at it! Believe me, my mom and I got real close during my breastfeeding time. I often would just rip off my bra and try to feed June. Haha, I am not very modest! My parent's friends saw a lot of my boobs. Anyway, I would love any advice on how you managed (other than having a great mom) those first few weeks! I tried the nipple shield with June because I have very flat nipples but the shield ended up filling up with blood and it was just a weird thing all around. I remember vividly the one time I was able to get June to my breast on the first try and I just sat there and cried. It was so rewarding. I just can't wait to try this again!

      Delete
  2. Amber, first of all, come to a la Leche meeting with me! They are a great support. Breastfeeding is so hard at first but SO AMAZING. I am still at it and it is ao special...and I want that for you. I completely agree with the article. You need a lot of support. My mom came almost every day and just brought me plates of food which was awesome. You also need tough love to make sure you stick with it. You do get Over the hump and suddenly it's as easy as breathing. And no washing bottles! Woo! I think you will need your mom, some home cooking and someone to call when it gets rough. I volunteer! I really want this for uou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Korey, I would LOVE to go to a LLL meeting with you! When/where do you go? I will absolutely fit that into my schedule! Please, please let me know and I am there!

      Delete