Friday, November 9, 2012

Halloween in November

Halloween was a while ago. Like almost two weeks ago. But that's not going to stop me from giving you the play-by-play of June's first (real) Halloween night.

The day before my mom had a very fun Halloween parade with all of the daycare kids. We had two Spidermans, a family of Bees, a Merida, a ninja, a German beer girl, an Air Force pilot and my little Katniss Everdeen. June has been teething for what seems like months and her nap schedule has been all over the place. Unfortunately these two days - the day before and Halloween day - her sleep was pretty bad. So my baby Katniss was snotty and sad but still adorable. 

Our dear friend, Ashli, made her bow and arrow for her birthday which is gave me the idea for the costume.


Halloween night Thomas and I loaded up June and we went to my mom's house. We had dinner, got June dressed, I did my make-up and we headed out. I was dressed as Effie, June as Katniss and we put a blue bow on Henry to make him Lady, the goat. (I realize that if you've never read The Hunger Games little of this makes sense but trust me, it was cute. Also, Thomas was supposed to be Haymitch but we couldn't find his wig. Sad.) My mom's friend, Maryann, lives two doors down so we went to her house to trick-or-treat first. We walked up, June knocked on the door (she loves knocking on pretty much everything), and Maryann answered. She was thrilled to see June dressed up. June, however, was confused. She tried to walk into Maryann's house and was terribly sad that we didn't let her. I think what was going on in her head was that when we knock on doors, we are allowed to go into the house. Why on earth would we not go into this house? The lack of sleep, the teething, and the confusion of our first trick-or-treating outing had gotten to her. We thanked Maryann for our two Twix bars and walked back to my parents' house.

This was before we headed out. Excuse the fact that she was in the bathroom. For some reason she was singing If You're Happy and You Know It in the bathroom with my mom.

June loved watching what few kids came to our house from the porch. She cuddled with her Auntie Em and looked at the boys and girls walking by. Our night ended when we got home at 730. I put up a sign on our door that said, "We don't have any candy and our baby is sleeping. Please don't knock." I felt like an old scrooge but Junie needed her sleep! 

I hope next year June gets the hang of candy and costumes. Overall, she was cute, went to bed and slept through the night so I guess we can't complain too much!

1 comment:

  1. Halloween tip for parents: Prescreen the houses before you go out. Figure out which ones will try to be scary. When my brother was 2 and I was 4, my dad took us trick or treating, and one house's front door was half glass. My brother got to ring the doorbell, and a werewolf popped up and roared. My brother screamed and went running away as fast as he could, my dad in hot pursuit. The guy was really apologetic afterward, but thank goodness Stephen didn't run into the street, and there weren't any cars around.

    ReplyDelete