Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Worst Day of Parenting (Thus Far)

Today we took June for her two month check up. She weighs 12lb 3.5oz, in the 90th percentile. She is 24in. long, the 97th percentile. Her head is 15 3/4 in., the 50th percentile. Her length is what absolutely floors me! Where does that come from? I'm only 5'2" and Thomas is 5'10ish. My mom, sister and both grandmas are under 5 feet so this long baby is out of nowhere! 


After our pediatrician looked her over and assured us that she was perfect (which we already knew) June started laughing. She laughs and smiles and coos at us all the time so we weren't surprised but her little giggles took the doctor by surprise. "Is that her laughing?" Well it wasn't me so yes, it's her. "Wow, she's really young to be laughing so distinctly. That's impressive." So our baby is impressive and of course, it's all thanks to comedy. 

June doesn't really like to be naked so after a few minutes she started to fuss which turned into crying, a very rare occurrence for her. Thomas and I joked to her, "Oh, this is nothing. Just wait for the shots." It was funny until the nurse walked in with the tray of shots and I felt like I was going to pass out and throw up at the same time. Needles don't bother me. Stick me, I dare you. But the thought of those coming toward my baby buggieloo made me sick. 

We got June into position, with Thomas and I up by her head and the nurse at her legs. Before the nurse even had the needles out of their sheaths, I was crying. She gave June three shots in quick succession. It was over within 45 seconds. June whimpered for about two minutes and I sobbed for about ten. She's never cried in pain before and it was a different sound. The deep-seated, soul slaying wail just about killed me. 

Hearing her cry in pain was the worst thing I've been through in her short 8 week life. My health issues have been a cake walk compared to this morning.  I knew today's appointment would be difficult but it still makes me reel at just how much my heart has grown. She is my heart. Now Junie is sitting in her Bumbo next to her Grandpa, wrapped in the quilt her Grammy made. She's contently staring at the ceiling and my dad's iPad. What a precious gift we've been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment