Monday, November 21, 2011

Fun Facts

Today I called Dr. Man's office precisely at 10:30am when they opened. The lovely front office assistant tried to make me an appointment for Wednesday. I was syrupy sweet as I told her, "no, you need to talk to Dr. Man. He will want to see me immediately." Of course, he did. They made me an appointment for 2pm. Thomas came home to go with me because not only did I not know what exactly this appointment was for but I needed an extra set of ears to compliment my drugged up ears. 

Good News: Um...well...they don't think it's anything cancerous! (And actually, I didn't even ask about this, I just assume they don't think that...)

Bad News: Dr. Man thinks it IS placenta. I still have close to zero answers as to why this is happening. 

So our plan of action is as follows - Dr. Man will get authorization from my insurance hopefully by Wednesday. If there's an opening to do the procedure Friday, we'll do it then. Dr. Man is technically off work Thursday-Sunday but he feels really badly about everything so he'll come in on his day off. Unfortunately it's not really an emergency, even though I'm in a ton of pain and there's a possibility of infection, so they can't "rush" the authorization. If not Friday, hopefully by early next week.

The procedure itself will be a hysteroscopy and a D&C. Dr. Man openly admitted that he's never done a hysteroscopy on a post-partum uterus so he's not sure how it's going to work. Usually, that would worry me but coming from Dr. Han Solo (Thomas' loving nickname) I feel confident. 

There's been some talk from family and friends about getting second opinions or changing doctors. Right now, I am in pain. Like labor pain, that bad. So the thought of holding out, finding someone who takes my insurance, getting an appointment, do more tests, then get another answer is absolutely excruciating. If after this whole ordeal there is still more pain or complications, I will try that route. But I truly believe that Dr. Man is doing all he possibly can to take care of the problem and that he is competent and able to figure this out.

So there's everything. I'm still scared. I'm still hurting. But now we have a plan. That's all I can hope for at this point.

Here's your fun fact for the day: the average uterus weighs about 90 grams. The last D&C Dr. Man extracted 107 grams of tissue out of my uterus. Yeah. That's a lot.

This is 100grams of ground beef...not my placenta.

1 comment:

  1. Um...no comment, except that I pray for and wish you health and painlessnessnessness...

    ReplyDelete