Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day, For Realz

Today was for realz Father's Day. (It also happens to be my paternal grandpa's birthday, too! Happy birthday, Ernest Sadler Losey II, we love you!) Thomas had his UCB graduation show in LA. Let me explain that a little bit - The Upright Citizens Brigade is an organization that was started by Matt Besser, Amy Poehler, Ian Roberts, and Matt Walsh. It's a sketch comedy, improv comedy, stand-up comedy, and all around funny theater for funny things. They offer all different classes and Thomas was in the intermediate class this go-round. His graduation was today and it was pretty darn funny. I'll be totally honest, it's kind of hard to be an objective observer in a comedy show when it's something I do and have been doing so long. And I don't mean that in a condescending way at all, I truly have trouble discerning funny anymore without completely breaking it down and figuring out the working pieces.  
Anyway, long digression, here are some pictures!

My grandfather (Garry Looney, yes, my mom's maiden name is Looney) owned a donut shop in Michigan for years (like a lot of years) and when I was born my grandparents sold the shop, sold the house and moved here to CA to be with me. They opened another shop in Orange, CA and sold it only a few years ago. The store is still there and today was the first time that I went in and they actually cared who I was and from where I came. It honestly made me so very happy, as silly as that sounds.
My parents watched June today while we were in LA. My dad, or Poppy, has the most amazing relationship with June.
Waiting for Thomas' show. Those shoes? Bought 'em  for a wedding when I was pregnant and now that my feet are not pregnant, they fit very oddly. 

Can't have pictures without cats. Thomas and his nephew, Preston, at lunch.
This was our second annual Father's Day softball game in the park next to my parent's house. That's my dad in the hat, my sister Emily is batting, me, Clint (soon to be brother-in-law), and Thomas are in the outfield. It's a lot of fun, regardless of my nonathletic abilities. 

Our day just did not stop. We came home and walked to the Orange Circle. Strawberry milkshake for me and Thomas, water for Henry and Cheerios and Strawberries for Junie.
OHMYGOD, those toes! I just love them. She crosses her legs like that pretty much all the time. Actually, when they were doing our big anatomy scan she had her ankles crossed like that too. She's just so modest. (hahahaha, so funny, my little nudist...)
Our shadows.
Today was such a fun, special and neat day. My darling baby Junie got to spend the whole day with her Poppy and I got to spend the day with my Thomas. My dad truly has an amazing bond with June. What makes me so happy about it is that I am still very, very close with my maternal grandfather. We lived with my grandparents until I was 1 and they couldn't bear to be without me so they uprooted themselves from Michigan to California. I have a sneaking suspicion that my parents would do the same for June. 

One of the things I love and appreciate about my dad (mom too) is that they always allowed me to express myself through my hair and clothing. I wore some pretty wild things and they always just rolled with the punches. That being said, I was a problem child. I was defiant, I talked back, I needed discipline. So I love seeing my dad's softer and sweeter side. June melts my dad's heart and it is just so amazing. 

So to all the fathers, grandfathers, great grandfathers out there, happy day to you! I can't wait for next year and to see how our little family has grown.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great father's day! Oh, and my son sits with his ankles crossed all the time too! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, what a fun day it looks like.. LOVE the outfits and photo's.. Very FAB.. I am Marilyn, your newest happy follower here and will LOVE if you had a moment to stop in via my blog as well.. I have a fun linky party happening I'd LOVE for you to share your post alongside if you have a sec - Mannequin Monday http://www.theartsygirlconnection.com/2012/06/mannequin-mondays-3-indy-beauty-hair.html .. Thanks so much.. LOVING your blog here, excited to indulge in more.. Wishing you a beautiful evening.. xo Marilyn..

    ReplyDelete