Monday, February 27, 2012

5 Months Old, Lovies and Surgery

Well, folks, we have a five month old. She is finally rolling over from her tummy to her back and absolutely hates the process. It would be sad if it weren't so hilarious. She lays on her tummy, rocks back and forth, rolls to her back, looks furious and then cries. I don't know if it's the motion that upsets her or if she just gets confused. Either way, it's adorable. (I'm aware the fact that I laugh when my daughter cries probably disqualifies me for the mother of the year award but c'mon, it's pretty funny.)

A while back I read on Emily Southerland's blog about introducing a "lovey" or security blanket/stuffed animal. My sister Emily had gotten June an adorable organic cotton doll while I was pregnant and I was adamant about making that her lovey. I bought an extra one, believing that we would need it. We named these her "ghost babies" but darling June rejected them. She had no interest in them when I tried to get her to cozy up to them.
Ghost Baby!

On a whim, I introduced her to a sweet, fluffy bunny that my dear friend whom with I lived in Paris had sent us. June took to this precious bunny like I couldn't believe. It has since become her dear lovey. She sleeps with it next to her face, stroking the satin and chewing on the ears. Thus, proving that even babies have minds of their own!

Junie and her favorite bunny.




On a less adorable note, I'm having more surgery! Dr. Man is no longer covered by my insurance because I'm no longer pregnant. Silly insurance companies! (Read: I effing hate insurance companies!) I'm still having incredible pain and while ultrasounds have revealed some pretty extensive scarring in my uterus, there have been few answers. 

Luckily, Dr. Man is a sweet man and referred me to his friend and colleague Dr. Latino. (In case you forgot or are new, Dr. Man is not his real name and my new dr is not legally named Dr. Latino, either.) I met with Dr. Latino today and he was wonderful. Dr. Latino agreed with Dr. Man and that we should schedule a laparoscopy (caution: pictures are included) to diagnose and treat Endometriosis. Unfortunately, endometriosis can't be diagnosed without actually seeing the scaring and growth. If you want to read more about this disease read this

A major concern of mine is that endo is a major cause of infertility and secondary infertility (being unable to get pregnant more than once). I have come across a lot of research that says basically the sooner you diagnose and treat, the better your chances are of becoming pregnant again. I had two nurses in the ER suggest that we try to get pregnant again right away so that we don't let the endo grow. That terrifies me. Everything about this is scary and I'm not sure I want babies only 14 months apart. 

Does anyone have any experience with endometriosis or know anyone that does? I want to find some sort of support system!

7 comments:

  1. Hey! I actually have a friend here in Seattle who went through the laparoscopy procedure to diagnose and treat her endometriosis. She was feeling pretty good for a few weeks afterwards and recently the symptoms started coming back. She just found out that the laparoscopy didn't work and now they're trying a more aggressive hormone treatment. They don't have any children yet, but pregnancy was suggested to them as something that could help. Hopefully you find something that works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jessica! Dr. Man had suggested the hormone treatment (basically chemically putting your body into menopause for up to 6 months) if the surgery doesn't work. I'm hoping the surgery helps because the menopause situation seems terrible! It's such a weird cycle, you have trouble getting pregnant but it helps with the disease but sometimes you can only get pregnant once, etc. I hope the hormone treatment works for your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend who had surgery for it at 19 and was told to have babies right away...but she was single. When she married at 33 and then started trying, she was fine. I'm not sure if that is helpful but hopeful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!! My name is Jami. I am an old friend of Thomas'. He posted your blog on his Facebook a while back and I have been following ever since! I wanted to chime in because I have endo. I was diagnosed with it when i was 19 (10 years ago) and went through the laparoscopy. I highly suggest you DO NOT do the Lupron shot. It can do some pretty scary things to your body. Both physically and emotionally. I have personally not done it, but i know those who have and it seems horrible. In my experience, i think it's best to do the laparoscopy and then treat the endo with birth control therapy (taking the pill continually and onlyletting yourself get a period every 3 months) That is what I did. Endo only grows if you have periods. Then when you are ready to get pregnant again, you just get off the pill and you should be ok. I was able to get pregnant just fine this past january. Sadly, i had a miscarriage, but at least i know at least 1 tube isn't blocked from endo scaring ya know? I suggest just being on the pill and not letting yourself get periods. I didn't get into much detail, so if you have any questions just let me know!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Korey, I have heard success stories so it does give me hope to hear more!

    Jami, thanks for sharing your story! If you don't mind me asking, how many times have you had the surgery? Did that seem to lessen the symptoms? I was able to get pregnant fairly easily, so it seemed, even though we were being careful without me being on birth control. After my last hysteroscopy my doctor discovered that my left tube is completely blocked so I'm very curious what they'll find through surgery this time.

    I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. But I love your attitude, it means that you CAN get pregnant! I know many women (including my mom) who have had a miscarriage with their first pregnancy and go on to get pregnant easily and carry to full term with a perfectly healthy baby. :) I'd love to talk more, either through here, facebook or email! amber.losey@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eee! Lucy has a bunny, too! so cute when they finally attach to soemthing. :)

    ReplyDelete