Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Christmas Miracle

My bridesmaids and I were summoned from our relaxing spot we were hiding before the ceremony started. They looked me over, one last time, before lining up in the order rehearsed the night before. Ian held June and planned to walk my mom down the aisle before standing in line between the best man and other groomsmen. June was very unhappy. Her tears unnerved me and I tried to focus and center myself. When Ian and my mom walked through the doors to the church, June quieted and looked at the Christmas lights in awe. She remained silent for the rest of the ceremony.

The signal was given for Emily, one of two maids of honor, to begin walking. I strained to hear the guitarist playing. Instead I only heard the echo of heels in the historic chapel. A slight panic started to rise. I looked at my dad, he looked at me and shrugged. I looked inside the church and made eye contact with Thomas. He clearly understood my facial cues. The tiny gesture and small smile calmed me immediately. My father and I stepped into the doorway of the church to silence. As our family stood to watch me walk down the aisle they began to sing.

"Silent night holy night
All is calm, all is bright
Round yon virgin mother and child.
Holy infant so tender and mild,
Sleep in heavenly peace.
Sleep in heavenly peace."

As they sang, I cried. Hysterical, ugly crying. The voices of our loved ones coming together to make sure I wasn't met with silence rang throughout the tiny building. When my dad and I reached the altar and the song came to an end, Norm asked who gave me to wed Thomas. My dad responded, "Her mother and I do." He lifted my veil, kissed me on the cheek and handed me off to Thomas. This was the beginning of our marriage, the sweet music of our family serenading us and claiming witness to our lifelong commitment. 

Photos by the AUH-MAZING Rebecca Dever. Please contact her for all your photo needs!
 

6 comments:

  1. Duuuuude this post and picture are gorgeous!!!!! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet moment! And an amazing picture. You look so beautiful. And SO happy! :) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wonderfully written and truly shows how much love you two have for one-another. You're an amazing mother and wife and cant wait to watch you grow into both of those titles with ease.

    You're Amazing--and well, I'm so proud of you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved that part too! We all shared your discontent when we realized there was no guitarist as our heels clattered down the aisle! Was an amazing start to a beautiful wedding. :)

    ReplyDelete