Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Great Weight Gain

I had been getting cocky about my minimal weight gain - only 12 pounds at 24 weeks. That alone wasn't enough to make me feel superior. I really didn't gain much weight until I was about 16 weeks, I had lost some in the first tri and sloooowly put on a few pounds, and my doctor was quite proud of my four pound a month gain from week 20 on out. My last appointment he even said, "You're doing well with this one pound a week, I'm impressed." Which, if you know me, meant a lot - praise from "officials" (doctors, professors, etc.) makes me happy.

Then came my 28 week check up. This morning I woke up knowing I'd have to choke down an awful glucose mixture because they were doing the gestational diabetes test. The fruit punch flavored syrup tasted like really sweet kool-aid. Not nearly as bad as I've been told. I did feel a little nauseous and light headed after pounding it down but pumping 50gms of sugar into your body in 3 minutes will probably do that to you. I headed out to my appointment, checked in and waited until they were ready to take me back. The fabulous nurse called my name and took me straight to the scale. Usually, I pee in a cup first because I have to go so badly but today was different. I thought little of it, dropped my purse and water jug, took off my shoes and stepped on the scale. Last time I was in the office the scale said 180. Not a number I'm used to seeing but I was okay with it. Today it read 188 and 1/2. Seriously? It had only been 4 weeks since I was on this scale. This had to be a trick. EIGHT AND A HALF POUNDS? I didn't believe it. The nurse took me to measure my blood pressure and I joked around saying that if my blood pressure was high it was because I was stressed about the weight gain. I asked if we could re-check after I peed, maybe it was the syrup. She laughed at me but agreed. So second weigh-in went like this: I take off my shoes, close my eyes and peek to see her not move the scale at all. She whispered to me, "I'll take off that 1/2 pound, we'll count it as only eight." She really did take off that 1/2 but that only made me feel 1/8 better. 

I was very concerned that Dr. Man (not his name, just what I call him for the purpose of this blog) would be upset with me when he came into the room. Surprisingly, the 8 pound weight gain wasn't the first thing we talked about. We chatted, went over a few things and then he said, "So, you've gained 8 pounds in the past month." I swore up and down I didn't know how it happened! (Which I really don't know how it happened, I'm still in shock.) I was pleasantly surprised when he said that he wasn't too concerned because of my little weight gain in the beginning. Apparently I'm right on track now at 20 pounds at 28 weeks. And in his words I'm just "making up for lost time." I was still warned not to gain another 8 pounds in a month but that from here out one pound a week is my goal. Which when you total over the next 11 weeks will be a 31 pound gain. And I will officially weigh over 200 pounds. I'm not sure how cute I'll look then. But I suppose as long as Dr. Man isn't concerned, baby Junebug is doing well and my body isn't flipping out then I shouldn't be worried. I'll keep repeating this until I believe it. 

In other news: June is head down and so that fun hard bump I feel in my ribs sometimes is her bum. It's a pretty darn cute bum and I love that I know what it is now! I just scheduled our 3D/4D ultrasound for next Wednesday. My wonderful friend Korey recommended a place that is way cheaper than everywhere else I've researched and she loved it. It does seem a little silly to pay more for an extra ultrasound but I just have to see her little face again. I can't get enough of my little Junebug! 

Now I must go run through the things I do to try to relieve this insane heartburn. These days it consists of Pepcid, Mylanta, a few Tums and some warm milk with honey to top it off. Sounds fun, right?

6 comments:

  1. I went to a dr. appointment today too, I WISH I was gaining weight but I am still DOWN 2 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight. Yes I did lose about 10 in the first trimester but UGH, I never thought I would say I wanted to gain weight. Thankfully my doctor doesn't seem concerned, but she did say that at the next appointment she wouldn't be surprised if I had gained about 5pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost about 8 in the first trimester and didn't gain that back until I was around 18 weeks. Then it was slow going and then I picked it up to the "normal" 4 pounds a month. I didn't get hungry until I was like 22-23 weeks so don't worry, it's coming! Baby's still getting what he needs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, your blog sounds like mine- and boy, I've been having massive heartburn/reflux too!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading Lily Jane! How do you deal with it? I'm always on the prowl for some new remedies! Hope your pregnancy is going well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops ignore my last comment! I'm reading backwards. :)

    So I went today and I had gained 4 pounds in the last 5 weeks (from 16 to 21) and he told me it was 1 pound too much. ONE POUND TOO MUCH. Now I'm obsessed with wondering why, because I have felt like a pregnant rockstar so far. Sure I've been gaining, but it's been reasonable...UGH. I know I shouldn't care, but if I'm already high when I'm trying to be good and ignoring cravings AND it's super early...well watch out T3!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some women gain in spurts! I hate hearing stories about how OBs or midwives chastise patients for gaining too much, especially when it's such a miniscule amount! I understand having a serious talk if you gain like 20 pounds in a month but he's worried about one pound? That's just silly! You ARE a pregnant rockstar and don't forget it!

    ReplyDelete