Saturday, July 16, 2011

Fashionista

These past few days I've been doing very little but sitting on the couch and reading blogs like Sometimes Sweet and Dear Baby Blog. These two mommy bloggers are funny, savvy and fashionable. The last of those has gotten me thinking about my own style. Do I even have a style? Pre-pregnancy my "go-to" look was jeans, t-shirt and usually a sweatshirt. I was still in college so I really had little time to sit and think about my clothing options while I was running from class to class then to interviews for journalism projects plus maintaining some semblance of a romance with Thomas (apparently that worked) and driving to LA twice a week (100 miles round trip) for my beloved internship. The only days I truly thought about my clothes were when I would go to my internship because there was always a chance that I would end up meeting a celebrity or on some TV set and needed to look like I belonged there. 

At one point in life, I really did like clothes and put a lot of thought into my overall appearance. Unfortunately, this was in jr. high and early high school and my style was eclectic, to say the least. I fell in love with vintage clothing and spent what little money I had on fantastic vintage dresses, blouses and skirts. I also experimented with my hair and I'm surprised I still have any left. It went through every color of the rainbow, sometimes all in one day. My parents were very understanding of my style, they let me dye my hair and wear what suited me without ever criticizing me (at least to my face). At one point, in 9th grade, I wore a large cake-topper type 50's prom dress to school (with purple high top Converse, of course) and they never batted an eye. 

My BFF Amanda and I before I left for a trip to Oklahoma the summer between 9th and 10th grade. I'm on the left in a vintage 40's skirt and my grandpa's old sweater. And my hair is teal. I traveled in style, clearly.

Shortly after this summer my style changed. I became even more involved in theater and for some reason that meant I started wearing overalls, a lot. I'm still not sure why that was my uniform for the time but it was. It was also not very much in style. 

I'm the girl in the picture...(second from left)

The rest of high school I wore jeans and t-shirts or costumes. I was involved in every theater production from 9th grade to 12th grade so I spent my school days in jeans and comfortable clothing. My style did not change much from then to college. Jeans, t-shirts and either sandals (my constant companions - Rainbows) or tennis shoes. 

I don't know why I lost that "flair" for fashion. It may have been out of the box but I truly loved what I was wearing and felt like myself. I've blamed a lot of my lack of style on lack of time but now that I have more time, I wear the same thing most days. My uniform as of the last few months have been shorts and tank tops. Yes, I'm pregnant and it's hot but I do have other choices. 

A few weeks ago I made three skirts specifically for my growing belly. I've worn one of them, one time. I don't know why but I felt silly wearing them. (This could be a whole blog on my neurosis but we won't go there.) I was feeling adventurous last night. I wore one of my homemade skirts. It was cute! I felt girly and somewhat stylish. I'm making a promise to myself to try to break out of my rut and make myself feel better about how my changing body looks. I love my belly and I want to show it off in cute ways. Wish me luck!

Thomas and I before celebrating my pass on the gestational diabetes test. The skirt is a seersucker fabric and adorable, if I do say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment